If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (615) 868-5324

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Commercial Mold Damage in Nashville

5/16/2016 (Permalink)

Commercial Commercial Mold Damage in Nashville Many Commercial HVAC Systems Can Harbor and Spread Mold Spores

Commerical HVAC Systems Need Professional Service To Remove Mold Spores From the Work Environment

Molds reproduce by making spores that are nearly invisible. Some mold spores are good while other spores are dangerous. Mold spores exist everywhere, indoors and out, and they grow on nearly any organic surfaces, as long as moisture and oxygen are present. All molds and subsequent Nashville mold damage can potentially cause health issues, but other mold species can produce harmful toxins and irritants. Mold can grow on wood, paper, carpets, foods, insulation and other types of damp material. Whenever mold spores find a damp spot, they begin to grow and absorb whatever they land on in order to survive. Bad indoor mold environments cannot be completely eradicated, but mold can be controlled. Mold fungus comes in many different colors, such as black (the most harmful), white, gray, green, red, yellow, brown and blue. The color of mold is influenced by its genus, by the conditions in which it is formed, its nutrient source, and its age. Mold is just another part of nature, and it plays a major role in organic matter because helpful mold breaks down dead matter, for example – fallen leaves.
 
Commercial mold damage in Nashville is not an uncommon occurrence, due to many buildings that have industrial HVAC and daily working plumbing systems. Buildings like motels, apartment buildings, office buildings, medical buildings, and more are susceptible to mold growth, but locations that have high mold exposures, includes antique boutiques, floral/vegetable greenhouses, saunas, farms, grain mills, construction areas, and even summer cottages. EPA studies have reported that microbial growth is a common event in HVAC systems and which should be monitored closely because of its use in indoor air pollution. Commercial building maintenance staff, industrial hygienists, building managers, contractors and other health and safety technicians are guided by building regulations and guidelines in how often to test for mold growths.
 
Most all indoor air travels through HVAC systems throughout whole buildings and mold spores like this environment, especially in drip pans, ductworks, coils, and humidifiers. Management must make sure that their system can trap pollutants with routine cleaning to keep mold spores from growing. They must also keep HVAC mold environments like this under control. The maintenance for indoor venting and plumbing systems in commercial buildings is specifically designed to keep machinery operating routinely and to keep mold fungus from growing. Humidity levels within commercial buildings are required to be no higher than 50% all day, and indoor humidity should be reduced to 30-60% to decrease mold growth.
 
Health officials and the EPA have worked together to keep safe air quality in industrial locations by encouraging the manufacturing of mold resistant products, which includes mold-resistant paints that can be used on walls and floors to help stop mold before it starts. Mold resistant paints have an additive called “mildewcide” which is a specialty antimicrobial chemical that destroys mold and seals the wall, ceilings, and floor to keep mold spores at bay, as well as inhibiting mildew, odor, and stain causing bacteria. Powerful and efficient commercial grade spray disinfectants and hard surface cleaners are produced to remove mold and to kill mold spores completely so that they do not return. These registered disinfectants and cleaners are purposely designed for hard surfaces, such as vents, grilles, diffusers, and cooling coils. Another preventive measure in preventing mold damage within the Nashville workplace is mold resistant drywall (gypsum boards) which is used when repairing interior walls and ceilings in standard commercial and institutional locations. This unique drywall product does not hold moisture or heat so that mold spores can not exist within its structure. 

Mold can spread swiftly through a property if left untreated. SERVPRO of Madison / Goodlettsville can respond promptly in Nashville, Madison, and Goodlettsville to mitigate property and revenue losses. Call us 24/7 for help. (615) 868-5324

Other News

View Recent Posts